Sunday 24 May 2009

It's a lovely weekend for a Hundred

Good luck to all the people doing the Wessex 100, which started at 10am yesterday. You've been blessed with a beautiful weekend for it. I wish I was out there with you.

This is the first LDWA 100 I did not enter since my first one in 2000. It's one of the sacrifices I chose to make to accommodate the Vasque Runfurther series Grand Slam plus various other ultras along the way. The Fellsman then Marlborough Downs Challenge then Wessex 100 on three consecutive weekends might have been a bit too much. (To tell you the truth, I was feeling unexpectedly fit after Marlborough and I did dare to email the Wessex 100 organisers to ask if it would be possible to enter on the day with a few days' advance warning. I was told in no uncertain terms where to get off. Out of the question. Entries had closed on 1st May. Thinking about it afterwards, I did understand. For one thing they would already have printed out the participant checklists for all the checkpoints, and probably the finishers' certificates as well.)

Instead I ran my local Bramhall Park 5k race yesterday (my second this year and 7th one overall). I managed a personal worst of 22:28. Over the space of 3 weeks a PB became a PW of a minute slower. Oh well. Perhaps some R & R is in order after all.
Not only that, I had to become a plumber and carry out an emergency home repair yesterday, which I would not have been able to do if I had been away. It's probably a good thing that I did spend the weekend at home after all.
My R & R will continue this afternoon with a barbecue and a long chill (warm, more like) in the sunshine.

My next event will be the Wharfedale Off-Road Marathon on 6th June.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you even considered the 100 Nick!! :-) way to go.... can't wait to get that kind of fitness! Was just looking on the net for my next ultra before Kent 50 in July... Nick - have you done any of the Coastal Ultra Series before organised by Endurancelife?? was looking at the 44m on 27 June -http://www.endurancelife.com/event.asp?series=10&location=28.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stu. Sorry, I haven't done any Endurancelife events, so can't advise. I tend to stick to LDWA events, which offer best value for money. I'm on the verge of entering Three Rings Of Shap as my last event before Western States.
    http://www.ldwa.org.uk/lgt/web_page.php?c=7&p=485

    ReplyDelete